At the heart of Nacho Mom, there is the almighty nacho. The hot steamy bowl of deliciousness brings people together like no other. A force, if you will.
But today we start with the foundation of this epic snack: The tortilla chip. Ok so hop in your car and go to your nearest grocery store and buy a bag of tostidos. Done and done! JUST KIDDING. That is so wrong and wrong! A real Nacho Mom starts with the HOMEADE tortilla chip. It is of the utmost importance to have the tastiest chips in town and it isn’t as easy as it sounds so I will walk you through it.
1. The most important part is choosing the right tortilla. You have flour or corn tortillas to choose from for all you gringos out there. I personally like flour so let’s use that.
2. Second, the texture of the tortilla matters. We want to use a tougher, stale tortilla versus a soft, doughy one which are better for your taco Tuesdays. These will be thinner and more durable, which translates to crispy and delicious.
3. To make the chips, cut the tortillas into little triangles and heat a pan with about a quarter inch of vegetable oil to about 350.
4. Drop the suckers in using tongs and watch out for splashing of course, because burns are not a good look. Stir them with a wooden spoon and make sure you are getting both sides (you should have enough oil so that chip is totally submerged).
5. After about 3-4 Minutes, remove the chips and place on a paper towel. While they are still hot, lightly season with salt and chile powder, on one side only.
Then call down the stepkids and revel in the fact that they will have a new found admiration for you and your chip making skills. Remember, these are kids and a good snack can go a long way! Oh, and of course don’t forget to chow down yourself and get creative with your seasonings and sides! Buen provecho!