Who better to learn how to make nachos from than Nacho Mom! This easy, classic Mexican snack is must in your repertoire of recipes as a stepmom, ESPECIALLY these super fast gringo nachos. Why super fast? Because you are a stepmom and ain’t nobody got time for that. And why gringo? Because my American teen step kids have a very limited appreciation for Mexican food (I think they may have damaged taste buds or something) so I of course tailor my recipes for what they like.
In this case, I follow the general structure of nacho making, and fill it in with flavors they love. I also like to make nachos when I am looking to empty my fridge of leftovers because with this recipe, anything goes! Throw in whatever your family likes, or whatever is sitting in your fridge from last night’s dinner.
Here is the version I make for my step kids:
1) Dump chips into an oven safe pan. If you have the time to make your own chips, which will really elevate your nachos to the next level, see: https://www.nachomom.club/single-post/2016/12/14/It-Starts-with-The-PERFECT-Chip
2) Cover the chips with shredded cheese. Any cheese your heart desires! My step kids like melted mozzarella on anything so that is what I use. My poor grandmother is probably rolling in her grave…
3) Get that protein in by sprinkling some shredded meat on top. I’ve even used fish! This is a great step to use up those leftovers in the fridge.
4) Now time to get fun and creative! You can add anything your kids will eat. Mine like corn, olives, and tomatoes in theirs.
5) Shake some more shredded cheese on top of your beautiful creation to make it extra neat and pretty and pop it into the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
6) Finish it off by scooping on one lump of sour cream and one scoop of mashed avocado right onto the middle of the dish. I always shove a chip or two into the sour cream and avocado so it looks nice and pretty.
7) Now call down the step kids and stuff your faces :)